Start Learning Italian
What is Italian?
Find out more about the history of the Italian language, why it's called a romance language, how many people speak Italian, and whether it's easier than learning English. Also, learn some of the many reasons to study Italian, and how Italian has influenced English (and vice versa).
- Italian By The Numbers
- History of the Italian Language
- Why Learn Italian?
- L'Italiano È Più Facile da Imparare dell'Inglese
- Top 10 Myths About Learning Italian
- What Italian Do You Speak?
- Love Those Romance Languages
- Learn Italian: Discover Your Family Heritage
Italian Study Tips
There is no silver bullet when it comes to learning a foreign language. There is rote memorization, conjugation tables, and the dreaded grammar. But some techniques are more effective than others.
- The Best Way To Learn Italian
- Ten Ways to Speak Italian Quickly
- Ten Ways to Improve Your Italian
- How Not To Learn Italian
- Online Italian Language Help
- Common Errors in Italian Usage
- Italian in English, English in Italian
- Think Like An Italian, Speak Like An Italian
- Study Techniques to Speak Italian Like a Native
Introduction to Italian
Start learning Italian with introductions and greetings, and master the essentials with quick, step-by-step instructions.
Italian is a phonetic language; in other words, what you see is what you pronounce. Start your study of Italian by learning how to pronounce the alphabet, double consonants, and words.
- Italian Pronunciation For Beginners
- The Italian Phonetic Alphabet
- How To Pronounce Italian Consonants
- Pronouncing Double Consonants in Italian
Learn the basics in Italian with these simple, direct lessons in grammar, spelling, pronunciation, and vocabulary.
Test your knowledge of beginner's Italian with these quizzes. Includes links to relevant lessons for each question.
- Il Presepe: The Tradition of Crèches
- Marconi: Grandfather of Wireless
- The Origin of Musical Notation
- When Speaking Italian Was a Crime
Improve your pronunciation and build your vocabulary with the Italian word of the day, vocabulary lists of terms by topic, and survival phrases.
Italian For Children
It's never too early to teach your child Italian. There's an illustrated alphabet with audio, counting exercises in Italian, conversation with children, and colors.
- Italian Language Immersion Camp
- Start Italian in Your School
- Italian Animal Sounds
- Geronimo Stilton: Italy's Answer to Harry Potter
Why are you learning Italian? Should Italy outlaw English phrases? Cast your vote on issues related to the Italian language.
- Why Study Italian?
- Should Italy Outlaw English Phrases?
- Machines To Replace Language Lessons?
- Dubbing Is Beautiful?
Learning To Speak Italian in Italy
One woman's twelve-part adventure in fluency. Bonnie Smetts first fell in love with Italian when she decided to take a few classes before visiting a friend who'd moved to Umbria. Five years later, she's studied all the grammar, read stacks of classics, and participated in myriad conversation groups. The time has come for her to be fluent in Italian.