1. Education

Michael San Filippo

Italian TV on Your Computer

By August 29, 2006

Watch Italian TV free of charge via broadband at Rai Click TV. The menu of choices includes commedia (comedy), drammatico (drama), poliziesco (detective thrillers), storico (history), and soap. Rai Click features popular shows such as Montalbano, Un Medico in Famiglia, and Un Posto Al Sole.

Comments

March 5, 2008 at 9:28 am
(1) Angela says:

Rai Click is a gift to those of us who do not receive RAI via cable. If using a mac, you need Flip for Mac. I suggest you download the whole program, then watch. You can save on your desktop until you shut down. I learned about it in a chat at About Italian. Mille grazie!

March 6, 2008 at 7:43 am
(2) Paulo Klein says:

Caro Michael, Grazie per divulgare il site di Rai Tv. Abito in Brasile e sto imparando italiano. La tv sempre utille per sentire come se parla la lingua. Ogni giorno guardo il tuo blog.
Mille grazie.

March 12, 2008 at 1:19 pm
(3) Maryclaire says:

Any chance of getting programs from Berlusconi’s Mediaset channels?

March 16, 2008 at 7:46 pm
(4) patrizia says:

Can you please tell me how to connect to the Rai programs, I have a MAC, what programs or dowloads do I need to be able to watch Italian tv? Thanks

March 16, 2008 at 8:12 pm
(5) About.com Italian Language SiteGuide says:

As the first poster pointed out, Flip4Mac is required.

Thanks for visiting the About.com Guide to Italian Language!

Un salutone,
-Michael

Michael P. San Filippo
About.com Guide to Italian Language
italian.guide@about.com

About.com is part of The New York Times Company

November 1, 2008 at 4:01 pm
(6) jas says:

If you’d like to watch free movies in italian online, like me, GuardaFilm.webs

Ciao e buona visione!

January 15, 2009 at 9:25 pm
(7) Peter Cole says:

While Rai Click worked perfectly with a Mac, today all the content was switched to RAI.TV, and nothing works. Has anyone discovered how to run the RAI.tv site from a Mac? I have tried 4 or 5 browsers, with no success. In each case I get a message from the Quicktime Player that the URL is invalid.

January 15, 2009 at 9:57 pm
(8) Peter says:

For those of you who are not succeeding in receiving programs in Italian on your Mac due to the switch from Rai Click to Rai.tv, the following works for me.

1) Open System preferences (Apple Menu) and click on the Flip for Mac icon.
2) UNCLICK the box that says Launch Quicktime Player (or similar).
3) Close System Preferences.
3) Go to RAI.tv and choose your program.

You will see the show in the Flip for Mac Player, not the Quicktime Player. This might be OK for most users, but if you have upgraded to Quicktime Pro, you are used to having a full screen mode. To get that you need one more step:

4) In the lower right hand corner of the player there is a down arrow. Click that arrow and choose “Save as Quicktime Movie.”

5) When that save is complete (it is VERY slow), you can click on the saved quicktime movie and watch the movie in the Quicktime Player, including in full screen mode.

January 15, 2009 at 9:58 pm
(9) Peter says:

P.S. I used Safari for this.

January 27, 2009 at 8:47 am
(10) Mariella711 says:

Any instructions for users of PCs? I am MAD! I loved watching RAIclick, and now I can’t watch any but a very few programs that don’t hold my interest!

Why did RAI do this? Do they not know how important their programming was to those of us who live outside of Italia and do not receive satellite transmissions?

February 10, 2009 at 8:30 am
(11) Sal in Aus says:

Ciao Mariella711 e tutti,
I agree that RAI is doing some silly things with their site. I miss the old Raiclick, but only last week I found the new site RAI.tv and WOW, I found some wonderful programs for myself,my wife and the kids. Suddenly, that all stopped over night. Now all links redirect back to the home page. Are non Italian IP ranges being rejected? Whatever the reason, I feel really disappointed because that website was the only real link my family had to Italian TV. We actually get RAI on Optus D1, but the programming selection is so DAMN boring that we are considering dropping our subscription after only 2 weeks. RAI.TV was the monotony breaker and watching Spazio 1999 after 33 years just blew me away.

RAI, perche avete distrutto una formula vincente?

February 10, 2009 at 10:01 pm
(12) Sarah says:

Hi. Yup, looks like RAI has blocked us outsiders. Anyone know of alternative sites that show Italian TV? Thanks!

July 24, 2010 at 9:46 pm
(13) Damiano says:

I know, it really annoyed me too! I guess that we can’t watch it because being a national television station, it is funded by TV licence payers (of which none of them are us, unless somebody wishes to pay an extra TV licence in a foreign country?!). The BBC does the same abroad (much to the frustrations of friends that have managed to escape this island!). However, I have noted that RaiNews (their 24hr news channel) is available as it’s part of an international news network. For those of you that wish to spend a little bit of money (I see some have subscriptions) there is something you can do. For about 300 there are certain gentlmen that will stick a satellite on your roof and point it to pick-up Italian, French, Spanish, whatever channels you want, alternatively, a slightly more reliable way (though equally as probably not entirely legal) is, if you have friends/family in italy, you can get a Sky Tv subscription, then take your box/card code and getting a box in the country of your residence and get them synched. I, on the other hand will continue to search the net!

Orgolioso Di Essere Italiano!

July 29, 2010 at 5:05 am
(14) christian says:

it says we can not display this content in your country, this channel is only available to Italians living in Italy…

anyway around this?

August 1, 2010 at 9:06 am
(15) S says:

tvdream.net, italian live and recorded

February 21, 2012 at 7:42 am
(16) Joanna says:

hi can someone tell me where I can see tempesta d’amore in italian online please? is there any website? youtube is not good! please help me!

March 14, 2012 at 12:36 pm
(17) Terri says:

You can choose to watch programming from over 30 tv stations plus radio direct from Italy on ItalicaTV. They also have VOD and “Catch-Up TV” which allows you to go back in time to watch something that you may have missed. Nice package.

March 14, 2012 at 12:38 pm
(18) Terri says:

Sorry, I put the url in the wrong place I guess:

April 1, 2012 at 10:16 am
(19) marco says:

Hi guys,
Is there anyone who knows where to get an Italian IP so to watch rei or premium play online from outside italy?

April 18, 2012 at 2:10 pm
(20) Andy says:

I was also frustrated by not being able to access Rai.tv from outside of Italy (I’m in New York), but figured out a pretty easy way to do it. Simply, you need an Italian ip adress; if you don’t know what an ip address is, it essentially tells other computers where you “live” online. I typed in “how to get italian ip address” into google and came up with a bunch of services that specialize in tricking other computers into thinking your ip address is in Spain, or France, or…Italy. I went with the first one I saw but I imagine the other ones would be just fine as well, as long as they have Italian locations they can route you to. It cost me just over 11 dollars for the month with hidemyass.com. I figured if it worked it would be worth accessing all the Rai programming. After a relatively easy setup (you have to download software that does the ip encrypting) I am happy to say that I have full access to Rai.tv where once I just had that notice about not living in Italy. There might be an easier and/or cheaper way to do this, but this works.

January 12, 2013 at 9:37 pm
(21) MisterMtl says:

I found http://www.StreamingTvs.com to watch TV from Italy.
Enjoy!